It’s that time of year again! Fall is among us. Has anyone broke out the decor yet? How about for Halloween? If anyone has broke out the germs around you, it’s time to take out the Elderberry Syrup! Our family loves this stuff, and truly believes that elderberry syrup is LIFE. Not sure what it is? It’s pretty much our not-so-secret weapon in helping us stay above the wellness line.
We enjoy making our own, because we can control what goes in it. There isn’t any added sugar, and it also ends up being far cheaper in price.
Want the recipe? Let’s start with that first. And if you want to know the benefits of elderberries, stick around, and I’ll share that afterwards.
:: What You Need ::
1 Cup Elderberries
1 1/2 Cup Raw Local Honey (or 3/4 Cup unfiltered maple syrup if you’re vegan)
4 Cups Purified Water
Copaiba Vitality EO (essential oil) – 7 drops
Thieves Vitality EO (3 drops)
Orange Vitality EO (3 drops)
Frankincense Vitality EO (1 drop)
Nutmeg Vitality EO (1 drop)
Cinnamon Bark Vitality EO (1 drop)
Glass jar with lid
:: Directions ::
1. Add 1 cup elderberries to 4 cups boiling water.
2. Allow to simmer on the stove for about 45 minutes or until liquid has dissolved to about half. Stir occasionally.
3. Remove from stove, and allow to cool until it is warm enough to melt the honey or syrup. The less heat the better, to preserve the properties and benefits of the honey and essential oils.
4. Strain through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth – being careful not to get any remaining berries into the final liquid.
5. Stir in honey or syrup.
6. Add Vitality Essential Oils and stir again.
7. Pour into glass container.
8. Keep refrigerated
9. Enjoy all the wellness!!!!
We like to give 1/2 tsp daily for our daughter (age 4.5). And 1 tsp for us adults. Repeat every few hours if feeling off.
:: Benefits of Elderberry ::
Elderberry has been used medicinally for quite awhile! I was looking some things up on Dr. Axe, and read that Hippocrates, the ancient Greek described the plant as his “medicine chest”. It also dates back to Prehistoric man, and Ancient Egypt.
It’s known for improving sinus issues, boosting the immune system, allergies, and inflammation. Cold and flu relief, anyone?! According to Dr. Axe’s website, the government employed the use of elderberry to fight the flu during the 1955 Panama flu epidemic. I’ve even read that it may possibly help prevent cancer, and promote heart health.
Do you need this amazingness? Elderberry syrup is LIFE. Follow our recipe, tweak it to your own if you’d like, and let us know how you like it!
*DIY Video on my Facebook*
For more recipes, make sure to follow our blog.
If you’d like to snag essential oils, we recommend Young Living. You can head to our link, or ask your favorite oiler for their sign up.